Monday, July 10, 2006

Global Groove Network - Journal entry #2

May 28th

I just got back from my weekend excursion from LA and it was successful from some points but it was a dead end from others. Knowing I was only going to be down for a few days on this particular trip I wanted my focus to be on tracking down a couple of particular people from my old days at East Side Mario’s. I knew I would be back later in the fall to do some interviews and studio and club time with some d-jays but it was more important that I find these people. The two individuals in question were Shaun and Mike…

Shaun is one of my best friends from those days and he has grown to be an accomplished actor over the years. With two series leads in Canada and a stint on General Hospital he has worked constantly in the film and television industry which is a major thing because it’s so hard to crack the barrier of wannabe and professional. We have been good friends from the beginning and even though we might not see one another as much as we like we are able to pick up where we left off every time… we had such good times at some of those parties as well as the work environment in the past… he also was one of the guys who introduced me to Drum and Bass which was a another fascinating genre of music within the community we belonged. I remember when he would freestyle vocals at people’s parties with another friend you’ll get to meet Robby… or as he likes to me known in that world DJ Wigs. He was the easy person to connect with… we had some good stories and I look forward to sharing them with all of you.

Now Mike is another story… we used to be super close until an incident happened that put a divider between us. The incident in question won’t be revealed yet… you’ll have to watch it when the film comes out. Mike and I used to do every thing together and I met him at East Sides. The raves and the parties were a big thing and we loved getting the group together and going out to dance the night away after work. I haven’t seen him in years and now he’s all grown up, married, and a chiropractor for the rich folk of Orange County. It doesn’t surprise me though… he’s a good guy and I’m sure the female clientele must be piling up due to his blond ken doll perfection.

Was I able to track him down? Not yet… My info wasn’t reliable so I have to go back to the drawing board… I have another source to find his number so it shouldn’t be to hard… I can’t wait until I see his face when I knock on that door… it will be interesting. I look forward to it.

Anyways journal… I will be in touch. The PRIDE festival in Toronto is next… one of my buddies Eric from the East Side crew I’m meeting with as well as David Morales. I’m filming a promotional video for one of the sponsors but this will truly be more then just that… the Morales interview and parties… this man has truly seen it all in the underground scene as well as commercial spectrum... I'm sure he has some great perspective on the community... I can’t wait!

No comments: