Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Global Groove Network - Journal entry #4

July 24th

On the road once again… it’s a beautiful day and as I drive from Toronto to Montreal I can’t help but get excited as each kilometer ticks away. I have about five hours before I reach my destination but to keep me company is the new compilation Heather and Colette have put together. This Chicago bred duo has put together I think their best set to date on CD and I’m ready to enjoy…

You know what’s interesting to me is somewhere in the world someone is probably going to be doing the same thing I’m about to do in terms of listening to these discs…

Connections… we all have them and today for me is a day of reflection before I meet and interview the ladies.

The interviews happen at midnight once the ladies settle in from there cross country trek from the west coast. My crew and I are anticipating some great conversation and performances tonight at Stereo in Montreal. I'm pumped...

The travel… It’s fun but it truly becomes tiring and I have to say this because the ladies are in full tour mode around the world and I have to give the gals props… just to give you a sense of what they are doing in the next 30 hours it’s quite amazing. They left Chicago, they leave Los Angeles, they arrive in Montreal to perform at 5am for a crowd of excited followers and newbie’s, and they leave in the afternoon as they continue on to Dallas and continue their tour throughout the world. The love of the music and the love of performing and uniting the global community is the gas that keeps these music machines going… I love it!

The sun has gone down and the streets are alive here in Montreal… I've always liked coming back to this city because it’s like experiencing European culture and lifestyle with a twist of Canadian. My mom’s side of the family originated from here when my grandmother moved with my grandfather from France after the war. I was born in Ontario but my Quebec and European roots mean something to me and this city always brings it to the surface. It’s a perfect setting and great energy to capture the ladies in action.

The midnight hour is upon us and the interviews are about to begin…

The set begins at 5am and it’s full house here at Stereo…

All I can say as I walk into the hotel at 8am is that I have just experienced another chapter of new perspective and connection to both my fellow community brothers and sisters and the two ladies I counted the days to see… Miss Colette and Heather you are truly unique ladies of knowledge and talent and I thank you for sharing your thoughts and performances.

I won’t say any more but all you need to know is that when you see the footage put together in the finished film you will agree…

The next month I plan to edit my footage to date but I’m on the road again in September and through the winter as I profile more great names and reunite with old friends. I go next to an Indian reservation to film and study the true tribal sensibilities of an ancient race of people. The people I speak of are the Ojibwa natives. They are unique subjects that reflect the underbelly of what our connections through music and community stem from… I will witness a POW WOW and get perspective and history on what music means to them.

So stay tuned and turn up the volume… I want to dance beeeeatch!!!

No comments: