Thursday, August 09, 2007

Max Graham ... The travelling minstrel

I left you last with comments about my financial situation… has it changed? Rocky roads have been the trail as of late but this is the week I find out if everything will work out… that’s right… within the next couple of weeks I’m hoping to lock down the loan. The new people that I’ve partnered up with have been amazing and feel confident that they can make the magic happen for my bank account. As I board the plane to head to Panama to film Max Graham the dream feels like it still has life… but more on that later… for now the focus becomes on what really needs to be talked about… Max!

For the last 10 years there has been a presence in my evolution within the house scene. This presence has shaped me with his skills behind the deck and as a producer in general. I’ve been fortunate enough to be exposed to a lot of great talented d-jays being from Toronto and with many of these skillful maestros coming from different countries from around the world it was nice to finally have a talent from my country reach a global audience with his sound. This statement doesn’t put down the local talent because we certainly have some of the best in the world but when an individual can reach out of his own kitchen and start cooking for a larger population that appreciates what he cooks then you should take notice and understand why… Max Graham is this chef I speak of and to experience a set and voyage through his eyes it is truly an amazing moment to any electronic music fan.

Panama was scorching hot with record temperatures and the kind of dirty heat that you appreciated but questioned as parts of your body sizzled with delight. Central America had opened its doors and with Max on tap to interview in the evening my crew and I decided to visit the city and find out where the borders began and the similarities blend. Panama is a city of both wealth and poverty. No middle ground seems to exist and even though the areas we traveled to have issues of just complete rundown economic stature, the people seemed to deal with it with a sense of happiness. One thing I did notice that was quite interesting in these moments of examination was that music seemed to be playing… it was in Spanish… varied in genres… but the soundtrack and message it gave to the people listening was quite noticeable and uplifting to the surroundings around. Music does that to people, be it from whatever genre, and it’s nice to feel that universal synchronicity 1000’s of miles away from your home. The power of rhythm and beat is a special thing to listen to and control… it only helped build excitement as the day flew by and we approached our interview time with Max.

The interview with Max happened and for me to go into detail at this moment would be wrong due to the fact that the cameras were rolling… you the electronic listener will get your full experience soon enough… until then just know that this well spoken individual didn’t hold back and gave us one of our finest interviews which I can say makes me proud to be Canadian as well as gives me that sense that this project through hell or high water needs to make it to the finish line.

Normally my entries wrap up there thoughts on my final notes on the artist but we were fortunate to experience another chapter in the Panama files… oh yes… this is where the eyes really opened up as a visual artist whom I categorize myself as. I’m not one in the traditional sense but as a film maker you take the world and create a canvas through your lens, scenery, story, characters, and choices of putting it all together. Today… the day after Max took care of business at this beautiful oasis known as PLAY… was my first time tackling the rainforest and interacting with genuine Central America tribesman. The adventure was a last minute edition to the trip and with cameras in hand we went a couple of hours south into the heart of the rainforest to experience a tribe showcase it’s lifestyle and how music brings them together as one. The similarities to the bang of their hollowed out turtle shell drums, bird bone xylophones, and carved out flutes timed to the unison of a tribe chanting and dancing was amazing. The rhythm of the beat and the synchronized timing of their dance moves communicated to each other along with the visitors that had been welcomed into their world. I’ve never felt such calmness in my inner soul knowing that people like them have such common threads to my tribe’s power and meaning… The BEAT must go on…

More answers to my problems and adventures will be posted soon enough… I hope as you read this you get a chance to reflect on your life for a moment. The reason I say this is as much as the joy and pain do become unbearable sometimes we as human beings need this to help be complete in our existence. My adventure is far from over and I’m grateful…

Look at yourself for a moment and ask that question… Are you grateful? Until we talk again…

ATB … here I come!

No comments: